- Wash and dry the strawberries, remove the tops and chop fruit into chunks.
- Draw a knife down the centre of the vanilla bean and using the tip of the knife scrape out the seeds. Add the vanilla seeds to the strawberries.
- Peel 3 strips of lemon zest and combine with strawberries.
- Place the gelatine into the cold water and submerge to soften. Once it has softened strain through a fine sieve to drain well.
- Add the maple syrup to the strawberry mix and stir well to combine.
- Place this mix in the blender and blend to a puree.
- Measure the volume of blended strawberry mix (it should be about 350ml).
- Deduct the volume you have from 500 and put the difference (e.g. 150ml) of water into a small saucepan with the vanilla bean pod.
- Bring to a gentle simmer then remove from the heat.
- Remove the vanilla pod.
- Cool water for 5 minutes before adding the strained gelatine, stirring until the gelatine is completely dissolved.
- Combine the tepid gelatine water with the blended strawberries.
- Pour into 4 or 5 pretty glasses or small bowls and refrigerate for 8–24 hours.
To make the maple and coconut cashew cream:
- Drain and rinse the cashews.
- Pour a quarter of the coconut cream into a blender.
- Add the nuts and blend.
- Slowly add the remaining coconut cream and the maple syrup if using, and blend until mixture is very smooth.
- Keep in a glass jar in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the marinated plums:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Toss together and leave 10–30 minutes
Instructions for putting the 3 parts together
- To serve, take the glasses of gel from the fridge and top with a dollop of cashew cream and a few macerated plums. Be sure to use a little of the macerated plum juices spooned over the top. If you like you could toast a few cashews or coconut flakes to sprinkle on top.